Birla Planetarium in ChennaiBirla Planetarium is a nice place wherein both the young and the old can learn more about our cosmic world which is a place for education, entertainment and enjoyment.
The Periyar Science and Technology campus in Kotturpuram (Chennai) houses this planetarium. The absence of city lights on the Gandhi Mandapam Road turns it into an ideal place for observation of heavenly bodies at the clear night sky.
Mr. P. Ivamperumal is now working as the director of this planetarium. Regular cosmic shows are held on the inner dome which is composed of aluminum and spherical in shape; it is also regarded as the most modern planetarium within our country.
Special Features of Birla Planetarium:
- Each one of us would be thrilled to experience one of the best audio visual programs within this planetarium.
- 236 persons can be seated in this planetarium within its air-conditioned theater.
- The main theater is surrounded by the hall of fame which shows us through the statues and portraits of celebrities associated with the field of Astronomy. The year 2009 saw the latest addition in the form of the sky theater; a
360 degree effect has been generated here with the help of a certain
- You’ll also be drawn towards the various celestial models and information describing their time and birth.
- Some 2.1 million rupees have been spent to create the mirror projection on the entire dome using a DLP projector. A class room, a sound studio and a seminar hall are situated within this planetarium.
Shows in Birla Planetarium:
Tamil and English languages are primarily followed for conducting shows within this planetarium.
Astronomical topics have large been discussed in this planetarium through 35 programs; new programs are set after a gap of three months to attract new visitors.
Contact Details of Birla Planetarium:
The planetarium is just a kilometer away from both the Kasturba Nagar railway station and the Kotturpuram railway station. You’ll also find a bus stoppage lying around two kilometers from the planetarium. This makes it easier for you to reach this planetarium from all directions.
10.45 am, 13.15 p.m. 15.45 p.m. - In English
12.00 noon to 2.30 p.m. - In Tamil
Excepting the national holidays, the planetarium stays open on all days (7 days a week).
It opens at 10:00 a.m. each day, and closes at 17:45 p.m.
4, Gandi Mandapam Road
Kottupuram (Chennai), India