Chennai Automobile IndustryChennai and the automobile industry are synonymous to each other. Almost all the well known automobile companies have an industrial base in Chennai.
In Avadi, about 23 kms. from Chennai, is the Heavy Vehicles factory that manufactures military related vehicles. The Combat Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE) is also in Avadi.
Apart from these automobile industries, there are myriad tyre manufacturing companies in and around Chennai. These comprise of Apollo Tyres (Oragadam), JK Tyres (Sriperumbudur), MRF Arakkonam (Tiruvottiyur), Bridgestone (Oragadam) and Michelin (Thervaikandikai).
There are numerous auto and auto component companies near Chennai. Some of them are TI Cycles of India, Bavina Industries, The TVS Group (TVS), India Pistons, Federal-Mogul, Visteon, Bharat Forge, SEW Eurodrive India and Tube Products of India etc.
Agencies working for the development of automobile industry in Chennai region are CII (Confederation of Indian Industry) - TNTDPC (Tamil Nadu Technology Development and Promotion Centre) and ACMA (Auto Component Manufacturers Association).
Automotive Corridor in ChennaiAbout 60 kms. from Chennai is the Automotive Corridor which is also referred to as Detroit of Asia. This is the hub of manufacturing of commercial vehicles, passenger cars and auto components.
Actually, Oragadam is the main hub of the Automobile Corridor as National Automobile Testing and R and D Infrastructure Project (NATRIP) is located here.
Growth of Automobile Industry in ChennaiReasons for the growth of automobile industry in Chennai are as follows:
- Development of National Highway 45 for transport, trade and commerce.
- Infrastructural development in Chennai and availability of Automobile manufacturing units.
- Presence of engineers and skilled workforce in Chennai with proficiency in manufacturing sector.
- Availability of ports in Chennai.
- Industry-friendly government policies such as tax cuts, easy and simple acquisition of land fast implementation of the projects.