Cricket in Chennai
Chennai is home to two time champion of Indian Premier League, Chennai Super Kings. Even the final’s of 2011 and 2012 was hosted in this city.
History of Cricket in Chennai:
In recent times test cricket in Chennai used to coincide with the Pongal festival in January though this tradition has been done away with it.
It was in 1932, when Indian Cricket Federation staged as a first cricket league in India conducted a competition for the clubs in Madras. Since then club cricket has endured in Chennai. By now city boats an enviable club structure, marked by fierce competition. In recent times, rival cooperate bodies support privately owned bodies.
The first ever test match played here was in 1934 in February between India and England. The popular world cups matches are also played here in the year 1987 and 1996.
The very first match of Ranji Trophy was also played here in which AG Ram Singh took on a sticky to bowl madras to win over Mysore within a day.
India also recorded their first ever test victory at the Chepauk, when they defeated England by an innings and 8 runs in 1951-52.the second ever tied test match was also played here in 1986 between the mighty Aussies and the Indians.
To find a way to increase capacity, provide additional corporate boxes and air-conditioned accommodation, and roof shading in time for the 2011 World Cup, Tamil Nadu association commissioned an England based firm architects.
Chennai Super Kings and Tamil Nadu have been a great home side for the Chennai’s. Tamil Nadu team has won Ranji trophy twice in 1954-55 and 1987-88 and finished runners up eight times.
Stadiums in Chennai:
This stadium was established in the year 1916 also making the oldest stadium in India and is in continuous use.
The stadium is also known as Madras Cricket Club Ground or Chepauk Stadium. Stadium’s first ever match was played in the 1934 on 10th February.
Other Famous Stadiums in Chennai are:
- Velachery Aquatic Complex
- The Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium
- Rajaratnam Stadium
- Mayor Radhakrishnan Stadium
- SDAT Tennis Stadium
- Prominent players of Chennai (cricket)
Famous Indian Cricket Players from Chennai:
- Ravichandran Ashwin, cricketer
- Dinesh Karthik (born 1985), Indian cricketer
- Krishnamachari Srikkanth (born 1959), former Indian cricketer
- Murali Vijay (born 1984), current Indian cricketer
- Rabindra Ramanarayan Singh (born 1963)former Indian cricketer
- Laxman Sivaramakrishnan (born 1965)former Indian cricketer
- Srinivasaraghavan Venkataraghavan (born 1945)former cricketer
- Subramanian Badrinath (born 1980), former Indian cricketer
- Washington Sundar (born 1999), Indian cricketer
- Sadagoppan Ramesh (born 1975), former Indian cricketer
- Murali Kartik (born 1976), former Indian cricketer
- Lakshmipathy Balaji (born 1981), former Indian cricketer
- Hemang Badani (born 1976), former Indian cricketer