Entertainment in Chennai
Entertainment is a part of human life. Chennai, earlier Madras, is one of the few places where people love a sedentary and classical life style, brimming with lots of entertainment options.
The weekends in Chennai are especially wonderful. People from all walks of life throng the zoos and wildlife parks, museums, amusement parks, water sports parks, science centre, theatre and movie halls, bars & pubs, discotheques, shopping malls etc. to get away from the daily boredom and professional pressure.
There are also numerous pubs, coffee joints, fast food joints and bars available for the urban tourists trying to mingle with the city life of Chennai.
Zoos and Wildlife Parks in Chennai
Chennai is a home to many Zoos & Parks. Some of which are listed below:
- Anna Zoological Park / Arinagar Zoo
- Guindy Snake Park
- Crocodile Bank – A famous crocodile breeding ground.
- Children’s Park – A mini zoo which houses monkeys, deer, birds and reptiles for children.
- Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary
For details on wildlife parks and sanctuaries, click here
Amusement Parks and Water Sports in Chennai
Chennai has something for people of all age groups. The amusement parks in Chennai are of course are important attractions for children but adults nonetheless are equally enthusiastic about it.
- MGM Dizee World
- Queen’s Land
- EVP World
- Tarsha water sports
- Ahaa Water Park
- Dash n Splash
- VGP Universal Kingdom
Chennai being in the vicinity of sea, people can enjoy all kind of water sports para-sailing, scuba diving, water scooter, wind surfing, water skiing and many other in the beaches.
Theatre and Movie Halls in Chennai:
There are many famous theatre halls where live drama and performances take place regularly. In Chennai, one can enjoy movies, both regional and international, in a variety of movie halls and multiplexes.
There are also luxury multiplexes for better viewing and enjoyment. For Example Inox, PVR Cinemas etc. For the list of cinema halls in Chennai, click here
Museums and Science Centres in Chennai:
A list of famous Museums and Science Centers is given below:
- Government Museum
- Regional Rail Museum
- Fort Museum
- Periyar Science and Technology Centre
- Birla Planetarium
For the list of museums in Chennai, click here
Classical Music in Chennai:
Some of the Centers for learning Classical Music in Chennai are as follows:
- Kalakshetra Arts Village:
Founded in 1936, this place is committed to revive Indian classical music and dance. Regular classes and live performance can be seen.
- Music Academy:
Most popular public venue for Carnatic classical music and dance. Organize live shows at regular intervals
A centre for art and craft, performing art and culture including live performances.
Discotheques, Pubs and Bars in Chennai:
Chennai among many other things are also famous for its western type of entertainment joints frequented largely by international tourists and local youth.
The South Indian Classical music being very famous and has international reputation, has always eclipsed the other forms of entertainment options. Nonetheless these joints are also very famous.
- Mocha – The youth love this joint and come here to coffee, hookah and snacks.
- Barista – A popular café chain.
- Café Coffee Day – Another famous café chain.
- Geoffrey’s Pub – A modern version of English pub which regularly hosts live rock and pop music at night. Famous personalities from the show world frequently grace this place.
- Leather Bar – Leather furnishing in floor and wall. Lots of music spun by the DJs and fancy drinks are trademark of this joint.
- Bike and Barrel – This joint is characterized by hanging motorcycle from ceiling, barrels for tables and pub grub.
- Dublin – An Irish pub cum night club with three levels of dancing.
- 10 Downing Street – An English themed pub often crowded with mixed bag of punters.
- Havana – Its theme is Cuba with cigars and everything.
Shopping Malls in Chennai:It is probably needless to say that there are some very attractive shopping malls that go very well with the character of this metro city.
Some of the famous malls in Chennai are the Chennai City Center, VGP Mall, Alsa Mall etc. Click here to read more on shopping in Chennai