German Embassy in Chennai
On June 27, 2005, the Consulate General introduced an online appointment service for all categories of visa applications.
Types of German Visas in Chennai:
The German Consulate in Chennai issues short term and long term visas:
Schengen Visa:The short term visa is Schengen Visa. There are currently 25 member countries (22 European Union states and 3 non-EU members). The countries are Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
Schengen visa allows you to freely travel within all Schengen countries, but there are restrictions depending on your visa type. The visa rules and procedures are the same as they issue a common visa. This visa is for the stay up to 90 days.
National Visa:A long term visa is called National Visa. It is for the duration of more than 90 days of stay in Germany. These are given for the following categories: work permit, student, German classes, family reunion, au pair, specialty cook, medical treatment, guest scientist and visiting scholars. To book an appointment for National Visa through our Helpline number: 022-67866013.
Then the applicants will have to appear for a personal interview at the German Embassy with all necessary documents. The current fees (w.e.f. 16.09.13) are Rs 5100 for adults; Rs 2,600 for minors.
Upon receipt of the approval letter from the embassy, applicants may submit their passport along with the approval letter for the visa issuance at VFS Delhi centre. A logistic fee of Rs 353 will be charged per passport for this service.
German Visa Process in Chennai:
For short term visit to Germany:
- Fill out the online application form and print it out. Sign it and submit it along with the other documents.
- Otherwise, you can print out the application form and fill it out by hand.
- Make sure that a high quality printout of the barcode is submitted with the application.
- Submit your application and documents at the VFS centre along with the applicable fees.
- Verify the current exchange rate for your visa fee and obtain the demand draft ahead of your interview. (The visa fee has to be paid by demand draft at the time of the visa interview.)
- The visa fee for applicants applying are payable by a bank draft in favor of “Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, Chennai". It has to be payable in Chennai and must not be older than 2 months. The German Consulate General accepts Demand Drafts issued by ABN AMRO Bank, Deutsche Bank, Canara Bank, Indian Bank.
- Now schedule an appointment for your visa interview at the German Embassy.
- Track your application online
When to apply for Short Term German Visa?We recommend you to apply for a Schengen visa approximately two month before you intend to travel. The usual processing time for a visa is 24 to 48 hours. However, it can take as long as 14 to 21 days for citizens of certain countries.
For National Visa to Germany:
- Before applying, please ensure you are clear about the purpose of your visit.
- Complete you visa application form and affix your photograph. You may download the form from the website.
- These photos can be obtained at the following photo studio:
- Dina Colour Lab:
53/1 CP Ramaswamy Road
Chennai 600 018
Tel. 0120-2499 7239
VFS: Tel. 0120-664 1070
- Dina Colour Lab:
- Ensure you furnish all the required documents. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- All applicants applying for a long stay in Germany can submit their application at the VFS Visa Application Centre for Germany in Chennai.
When to Apply for National Visa to Germany:We recommend you to apply four months prior to your visit.
The visa process may take 8 to 12 weeks.
Also Read: Malaysian Embassy in Chennai, Singapore Embassy in Chennai, US Embassy in Chennai, Embassies in Chennai