How to Reach Chennai
How to reach Chennai by Air:
Chennai is considered to be the gateway to the entire southern part of India. The city can be reached from all directions by way of a plethora of flights.
- Kamraj Terminal is meant to cater to the passengers of domestic flights, while the Anna Terminal is meant for availing the international flight services.
- Chennai is connected through a large network of Indian domestic carriers e.g. Indigo, Spice, Jet Airways, Go Air and Kingfisher and some all-business airplane service known as Paramount Airways.
Flights from Chennai to other Major Cities in India:
- Air India runs flights to Bangalore, Kochi, New Delhi, Mumbai, and Hyderabad from Chennai.
- Indian Airlines runs flights to Trichy, Port Blair, Coimbatore, Bangalore, Trivandrum, Madurai, Kolkata, Kochi, Hyderabad, Goa, Delhi, Mumbai, Trichy, Blair, and Calicut from Chennai.
- Jet Airways runs flights to Pune, Trivandrum, Mumbai, Port Blair, Madurai, Goa, Kochi, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Delhi, Ahmadabad, Coimbatore and Kolkata from Chennai.
- Air Deccan runs flights to Kolkata, Vijaywada, Vizag, Tuticorin, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Madurai, Bangalore, Trivandrum, Kochi, Coimbatore, Pune, Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai from Chennai.
- Alliance Air runs flights to Raipur, Kolkata, Vizag, Bengalore, Bhubaneshwar and Delhi from Chennai.
- Go Air runs flights to Mumbai, Pune and Delhi from Chennai.
- Jagson Airlines runs flights to Tirupathi and Pondicherry from Chennai.
How to reach Chennai by Train:
- Chennai Egmore and Chennai Central are the two main stations providing long distance train services.Chennai Central runs trains for major Indian cities like Ahmadabad,
Kolkata, Hyderabad, Delhi, Coimbatore, Mumbai, and Bangalore on a daily
- City buses would connect the Bus Terminus to these stations, while the suburban rail is meant to connect them to the airport.
- Perambur and Tambaram are two important halts for trains heading towards Central and Egmore respectively.
Chennai Train Traveling Charges:
Suburban trains would charge around $0.2 (€0.16) to ply within their network; this is certainly one of the cheapest ways to move around in this city.
Chennai Train Timings:
Trains to Mumbai from Chennai:
- Mumbai Express:
Arrival: 13:45 pm
- Chennai Express:
Arrival: 06:00 am
- Mumbai Mail:
Arrival: 03:45 am
Departure: 22:50 pm
Trains to Delhi from Chennai:
- Sampark Kranti:
Arrival: 18:00 pm
Departure: 08:00 am
- Tamil Nadu Express:
Arrival: 07:00 am
Departure: 22:00 pm
- Grand Trunk Express:
Arrival: 06:20 am
Departure: 19:15 pm
Trains to Kolkata from Chennai:
- Coromandel Express:
Arrival: 17:30 pm
Departure: 08:30 am
- Chennai Mail:
Arrival at 03:50 am
Departure: 23:40 pm
Trains to Hyderabad from Chennai:
- Hyderabad Express:
Departure: 16:45 pm
Arrival at 5:45 am
- Charminar Express:
Arrival: 08:00 pm
Departure: 18:10 pm
Arrival: 7:55 am
Trains to Bangalore from Chennai
- Sangha Mitra Express
Arrival: 20:20 pm
Departure: 13:55 pm
- Kaveri Express
Arrival: 04:00 am
Departure: 21:30 pm
- Bangalore Mail:
Arrival: 05:10 am
Departure: 23:15 pm
How to reach Chennai by Road:
- One needs to travel westward till about 10 km away from the center to reach the Koyambedu suburb; this is the place where in the Mofussil bus stand welcomes all Chennai bound buses.
- A few other important stoppages include Trisulam, St. Thomas Mount, Guindy, Saidapet (towards Little Mount Church), Mambalam (towards silk shops and TNagar), Kodambakkam, Nungambakkam, Egmore, Park (for Central), Fort and Beach (on the other side of the GPO).
- You’ll need to bargain a lot before hiring auto rickshaws and taxis; meters are not usually used since the taxis run on a pre-paid basis.
- The means of NH-205, NH-45, Nh-5 and NH-4 support the best road links that connect the rest of our nation with the city of Chennai.
- Both for the smaller towns and the major cities, this network of roads acts as the strongest link. You’ll reach your desired location within a short time once you hire a maxi cab (the popular term used for taxis).
- Luxury buses as well as government buses are provided for commuters by the government of Tamil Nadu.