M.A. Chidambaram Stadium
M.A Chidambaram Stadium is an eminent cricket stadium located in Chennai. The stadium was founded in the year 1916 and was formerly known as the “Chepauk Stadium” or the “Madras Cricket Club Ground“. This renowned stadium was erected in commemoration of honorable M.A. Chidambaram, the ex-President of BCCI and the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association. The complete stadium occupies an area of 40000 square meters.
The M.A Chidambaram stadium can have capacity for 50000 people at a time. In the year 1934, the very first match took place at this stadium which was played between India and England. In 1987, the 1st ODI was played here between India and Australia.
Records at M. A. Chidambaram Stadium:This stadium has a history of numerous world records and great innings. Following is a list of a few memorable records:
- In the year 1986-87, the match played between India and Australia ended in a tie, which was the 2nd tied test match in the history of Cricket.
- Rahul Dravid achieved his 10,000th test run at this stadium.
- Sunil Gavaskar broke his record by scoring 30th test hundred at this stadium in the year 1983-84. He also scored the maximum number of runs (1018 runs) on this ground. Gavaskar also scored the maximum individual score up till now of 236 not out against the West Indies team here.
- Sachin Tendulkar achieved a maximum of 876 runs in 9 tests on an 87.60 average at this stadium.
- Virender Sehwag achieved the highest test score of 319 against the South Africa team.
- Yuvraj Singh notched up the maximum number of runs at this stadium i.e. with 255 runs in the ODIs (or One Day International).
- Saeed Anwar achieved 194 against the Indian team in the year 1997 during the Independence Cup.
- Until now England holds the record of scoring a maximum of 652 runs against the Indian team.
World Cup History of M. A. Chidambaram Stadium:The list of Cricket World Cup matches played on this stadium are:
- There were 2 matches Australia Vs Zimbabwe and India Vs Australia that took place at this stadium in 1987.
- In 1996- New Zealand Vs Australia
- In 1999- Between Australia and New Zealand
- In 2011 there were total 4 matches that took place at this stadium which are: England Vs West Indies, Kenya Vs New Zealand, India Vs West Indies and England Vs South Africa.
Cricket in Chennai has always been one of the famous sports of the people of Chennai and its fans in the Chepauk Stadium is very famous for its enthusiasm and high spirits. After the record breaking score of 194 against the Indian team, Saeed Anwar got standing ovation from the crowd present in the stadium. The Pakistani Team once made a victory lap, especially in admiration of the cheerful and encouraging crowd of the stadium.
The spectators of the stadium always remain cheerful even at times of losing a match; they never lose hope and always have a positive attitude. This positive outlook of the crowd boosts the confidence of the players on the ground. M. A. Chidambaram Stadium is the home ground of the Chennai Super Kings as well as the Tamil Nadu Cricket Team.
Contact Details of MA Chidambaram Stadium:
5,Victoria Hostel Road
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600005
Phone: 044 2854 4175
Vivanta, E-Hotel, Taj Club House, Clarion, Ramada
Chennai Central Railway Station to MA Chidambaram Stadium
Driving distance: 2.74 Kms
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0