Tid Bits of Chennai ShoppingChennai - what does it ring when you hear the name of the city - Chennai Traffic, Chennai Weather, Chennai Beach and ofcourse Madras Silks. Though located at the southernmost point of India, Chennai shops sell everything - from Kanyakumari shells to Kashmiri shawls. If you are new to Chennai, shopping will give you that much needed adrenalin rush enough to keep you engaged for more than a day.
When to Shop in ChennaiLike a best time to visit the city, there is also a best time to shop. Not at all times, would you get a good deal.
- Shop during festival seasons from November to January when the city celebrates Diwali and Pongal and New Year which is probably the best and worst shopping times in Chennai. Crowds on the streets for shopping and heavy discounts are directly proportional during this time. So brace yourself, for you might have to wade through teeming population.
- Best time is before 10 in the morning, though few shops might be closed, but majority of them will be open to avoid the rush.
- Check for the best available discounts in all shops before picking up your favourite things. Learn the art of bargaining to get the best from street-side shops.
Where should you shop in Chennai
Three important places for shopping in Chennai are T Nagar, Sowcarpet and Parrys Corner. T Nagar is filled with hypermarts. These are huge shops that can hold more than 100,000 people at a given point of time! Shopping in Chennai and not shopping in Sarvanna Stores is like going to Agra and not visiting Taj Mahal. If you are a silk lover, you surely can’t return without a couple of Chennai Silks from Nalli Silk House. Nalli stands out for its excellent customer service and huge range starting from as low as Rs 700. Chennai Silks is another must visit shopping centre in the city.
What to Shop in Chennai
In T Nagar, Paarys and Sowcarpet, you can shop as you walk, talk and eat. These places have special shops along the pavements. Many locals tend to stick to Pondy Bazaar. This is a special place with beautiful, but cheap products! Pondy Bazaar is one of the few places not only in Chennai but whole of India, where you can get your salwar kameez stitched in an hour. Just follow r simple steps:
- Pick your material
- Choose your design
- Give yourself an hour and hooray your new salwar kameez is ready!
Though you can find everything almost everywhere in Chennai, some markets are famous for some specific things.
- Sowcarpet - North Indian Accessories and dress materials
- Evening Bazaar Parry’s - For aluminium and stainless steel
- Burma Bazaar - Cameras, suitcases and luggage, perfumes and accessories
- Pondy Bazaar - Footwear, accessories, garments, toys and crockery
- T.Nagar – Silk sarees and jewellery
- Anna Nagar - Luxurious and branded items
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0